Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Tipping Point

What will the tipping point be? There are several possible tipping points to talk about.

1) The point that debt becomes so much that our economy becomes insolvent.
2) The point that individual liberties are so devastated that people start going seditious movements.
3) The point that taxes become to egregious that we simply refuse to pay them.

I'm sure there are a few more, but there are becoming so many I'm having a hard time keeping them all straight.

But beyond these three basic points I've mentioned above, there is a more subtle one. That point at which a significant percentage of the population, a particular percentage of the population, has finally had it. What percentage? The workers. The industry builders. The inventors. The true entrepreneurs. The creative minds of the nation. The ex-military heroes and leaders. In other words that percentage that accounts for like 95% of the federal budget. For the sake of conventience I'll add in anyone that pays at least 5% of their income in federal taxes. I can't include those that pay state taxes, sorry. They very so much its not possible. I know 5% might not seem like much for someone who makes two hundred thousand a year, but for those out there making twenty thousand, that 5% is kinda painful. I know, I've been there. My family makes more than $90 thousand now, and we're went over 15% last year (over 22% if you include state). Pain is all relative. I could sure use that ten thousand or so a year. I'd even give a portion of it to charity! More than I do now, anyway. But the government doesn't really give m that choice, do they?

So there's that percentage that is almost undefinable of a portion of the population that cuts across almost all lines. For some strange reason these people are mostly conservative. Go figure! For some strange reason (snark), it seems most of the non-tax payers are liberals. How the hell did that happen? Well, wasn't it Thomas Jefferson that said a democracy would only survive until the electorate would realize that could vote itself goodies from the treasury?

So what do we have now? We have democrats promising unlimited goodies to anyone who will vote for them. Free healthcare (not free, just nationalized), free housing, free food, guaranteed jobs (if you feel like it), free bailouts if your house is destroyed because you built it in a tornado zone, etc, etc, etc. Sound kinda like what Thomas Jefferson talked about?

I'm talking like this because I sense a dynamic after this last election I've never felt before. I'm not 100 years old, but I'm also not 18. I've been through fifteen election cycles, eight presidential cycles, that I was old enough to remember. I've never seen this sort of shit before. The democrats and their allies in the uber left fringe are completely unhinged. They're the first to accuse of hate, but you don't see the right doing any of it now, only the left. AND THEY WON! There is significant concern here that now that they have won, they will make it impossible for anyone else to. Obama is already going on about revoking ALL presidential executive orders. Don't get me wrong, these things are about as anti-liberatrian as possible, but no president before ever stepped in and attempted to scorch-earth the previous administration.

The first 100 days will be very telling. He's got a big hardon over the possibility of throwing down his thug thizzle on capital gains, raising them to 75%, and also going after the coal industry. Either of these moves during a recession is like throwing gasoline on a brush fire. The voters aren't idiots, just blind sheep. If the economy goes into a complete nosedive in the first six months, the dems will get slaughtered in the mid term.

Once again, it's wait and see. But I'm going to be prepared as possible. The old Gods will have to be merciful for us to make it through this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home